Monday, October 12, 2009

This is what a few margaritas will make you do!

I am in the process of redecorating my office. I am going from a grown-up pretty office to a cute, sassy and fun office. If you know me, you know I am not one for change. So letting go of my beautiful leafy green wall covering took a huge shove from Girly Stuff! The area I am currently working on is the reception area.




Here is a sneak peek into the redo!




One of the things that I wanted to add to the reception area was an armoire to serve our coffee and cookies. I was inspired by this redo by life in grace. I was able to find an armoire I could work with on Craig's List. (It is amazing the stuff people will sell on that site! It is a post on its own!)














The shape and size were perfect. Unfortunately, the finish on it was as highly varnished as you could get! After consultation with my DDS, (that is Doctor of Decorating Services, aka Girly Stuff!) we decided to prime the surface, paint, and then distress the armoire. I purchased the paint at Lowes. The color is Deep Turquoise from the Laura Ashley collection in a satin finish. This is the painted, pre-distressed work in progress.










I am lazy, I admit it. The bottom cabinet doors will remain closed so I did not paint the inside. Next step was the distressing. My first thought was to sand it, however, when I started too I could get through the primer in some areas but it was not even and some of the primer showed through. So I decided to glaze it. I used some dark brown paint from the office, and added glaze from Sherwin Williams to it. I brushed it on and then wiped it off with a rag. It really was not difficult to do. The hard part was that I wanted it to look old and naturally distressed, but my old and naturally distressed had to be perfect!



The finished product was moved into the office last week.










This photo was taken before the armoire left my really clean garage! HA!











I must admit I had a bit of a meltdown when I first saw it. (Remember I have issues with change, especially drastic ones!) The back of the armoire is tin I purchased at Home Depot. It comes in sheets that you just overlap. There are different patterns and finishes to choose from. It is a pretty neat product!









Because I am an honest person I will tell you I PFIY 'd the tin part. Paid for it myself. I will also tell you the armoire is growing on me. I may still go back and paint the inside of the cabinet, and possibly add a little more "distressing" to it. There are a few missing accessories that are needed to tie everything together, but the reception area is definitely on its way! Stay tuned for some home projects, and a spooky Halloween Party I am throwing later this month.



Me and parties...that is a whole other post!

8 comments:

Girly Stuff said...

It is my favorite thing in your office! Very sassy and fun! Nice paint job!

Pamela said...

Looks wonderful! I am watching a china cabinet in the same style....

Magic Brush said...

That looks amazing!!!! So glad you are in blogworld. It's addicting!!!! Love all the chandelier motif!!

Mother Hood said...

Very cute! LOVE the color. But I'm actually more jealous of the sporty purple power wheels in your garage. It's waaay more spunky than my white minivan.

Mandy said...

M&M...love the armoire!!! great job and the ortho rules above it will be great!!! So nice to have girly stuff pushing you along!!! she can be a little pushy ya know!!! :-)Didn't we rearrange a vehicle at Canton just for her back porch glider????

Brittany said...

Stopping by from Girly Stuff's site to say hello! She is a funny girl!

LOVED that armoire when I saw it on Life in Grace and LOVE it again on your site too! Wishing I had one of those to paint myself!

Stephanie said...

SHUT IT...I'm LOVIN' this armoire!! Props up sister sue!!!!

Woman Interrupted said...

It turned out bee-yu-tiful! I love it! I think I want one for my kitchen...